Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fun Finds at Goodwill and a "New" Island

I haven't written lately about the fun things I bought at my last visit to Goodwill.  I stopped by there some time before going to California for my nieces wedding.  I did take pictures right away so that I wouldn't forget share what I found.

Here it is all together

8 plates to add to the dishes I bought a Goodwill a couple of months ago, pictured here.
They cost $4.99

The remaining items had pink tags so all were half off,
pottery $1.50

Tablecloth, long oval, perfect for my table was $3.50 and napkins $1.50

Two fall colored place mats $1.00
Total cost for all the fun things I found, about $12.00
I just noticed that my new refrigerator is in this picture, I just love it!

Now I want to show you what my husband found on Craigslist.  We had been looking for an island for our kitchen, something with more workspace and storage space than the tiny one we had.  My husband found this perfect island after persistently searching Craigslist for less than 1/3rd of the cost of many we had been thinking about.  We are very happy with it.

We will be doing some thinking about how we will transform it to match the rest of our kitchen but in the mean time we are making good use of it.  I think we might wrap it in bead board and paint it. 

Our cabinets are in need of paint also so we will have to do some planning.  We have also talked about needing a new sink and faucet.  It could go on and on.

I do want to let you know that we are very content with our kitchen as it is so we won't be rushing out to spend lots of money, actually we don't have lots of money so that won't be happening.  It will be fun to keep plugging away and fix things up as we can.  I am glad that my husband likes searching Craigslist, I will stick with Goodwill, and we'll work together to make our home special with thrifty finds.

I will be linking with A La Carte for Junkin Finds


18 comments:

  1. Good finds. I visited our local goodwill and didn't find anything worth bringing home. I guess it's a matter of timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great bargains! My DD shops at Goodwill all of the time. I don't live anywhere close to one or I would.
    That island is great. If you every do a makeover on it and change out the top of it, you might want to think about added some length on one end where you can put a couple of bar stools. Mine is like that, and it comes in so handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds at bargain prices. I wish we had a GW here. The kitchen island is perfect!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that kitchen island...how lucky for you that your hubby loves searching craigslist. Ithink the beadboard idea sounds GREAT!!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being my first link today! I am so excited to be hosting this party and enjoying meeting new friends. Love those dishes...blue and white, well you can't go wrong. Your hubby found a great deal on Craigslist...that island is wonderful!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds!! Pretty dishes :)
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' your tablecloth and napkins! I'm hoping to luck out and find white napkins myself-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry your kitchen is beautiful!! I love your Goodwill finds. I will start my thrifting again when I get in the new house. Rose at Delightful Clutter told me I was addicted to junking. I fear she is right. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your plates. The island is a great find and you can do a lot with it. ♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd surely never find anything like that at my GW either, so kudos to you, those are awesome finds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heart that kitchen island! I have a big kitchen that is hungry for an island. We just can't seem to find the right piece. Yours is a nice one! I love thrifting too. I am picky about what I bring home because I have a stead fast rule. When something new comes into the house something else has to go out. It helps to keep the clutter down. But, I am running out of stuff to part with. :D Great post!~ Ames

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to Goodwill!
    Love the island.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds at your GW. It's hit or miss at our local GW. The island would look so nice wrapped in bead board. Love the granite top, have the same stuff in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing and have fun in your thrifting adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow-what a great looking island!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good finds on your thrifting trip but your hubby winds the award - awesome island. You are going to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your good will finds! Dishes are so pretty and what a deal on the cloth and napkins.
    Here from Linda's Junkin Party. Stop by if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful find!! It has endless possibilities! Beadboard and trim with a lil' paint will make it go from beautiful to simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete